INDEX

2-6-0 TENDER ENGINES

IVATT

No. 1181 CLASS
BALDWIN WORKS

IVATT CLASS H1

5ft-0in wheels, cyls 18in x 24in

General Plan dwgs P48/P49 (11/1907) Baldwin

Nos. 1181-1200 were supplied by Burnham, Williams & Co., Baldwin Works, Philadelphia.  The first 19 were assembled at Ardsley shed (1900), the last one in France.

Fig. 102
Baldwin Engine No. 1182

At a time of acute shortage of building capacity the GNR purchased these engines shipped across from the United States.  One departure from GNR practice was outside cylinders with the steam chest above them, containing balanced slide valves operated by Stephenson valve gear.  The leading wheels operated in a pony truck.

The engines filled an immediate need but were eventually all scrapped between March 1909 (No. 1185) and August 1915 (Nos. 1182/84, 1200).  The chassis and wheels of their double-bogie 3,500-gallon capacity tenders afterwards served as the basis for some 8-wheel goods vans.  The boilers from several afterwards served as stationary boilers, e.g. No. 1184 for Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Co. and No. 1196 for Crun Taulk House [not identified].

GRESLEY

Order
No.

Ordered
Engine
numbers

Built

Classes
270 23/3/1912 1630 1912 H2, K1
272 8/3/1912 1631-39 1913 H2, K1
277 7/8/1913 1640-49 1914 H3, K2
281 237/1914 1650-59 1916 H3, K2
N.B. Loco. Co. 11/1917 1660-79 1918 H3, K2
Kitson & Co. 2/1920 1680-1704 1921 H3, K2
290 6/6/1919 1000-09 1920-21 H4, K3

 No. 1630 CLASS
GRESLEY CLASS H2
LNER CLASS K1

5ft-8in wheels, cyls 20in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 7 boiler, LNER Dgm 6 boiler

Cylinders dwg M155 (1/1912) for No. 1631
Boiler dwg N223 (3/1912) for BOs 611/12,
EO 270 (23/3/1912) for No. 1630,

BO 611 was issued (26/3/1912) for No. 1630,
Frame dwg O99 (22/4/1912) for No. 1630,
Pony truck dwg O100 (18/5/1912), 3ft-8in wheels for EO 270

General Plan dwg P53 (12/10/1912).

No. 1630 was built at Doncaster (1912).

This was the first British 2-cylinder engine to employ Walschaerts valve gear (introduced back in 1844), an obvious choice with a two-cylinder layout that needs to be on the outside of the frames with their steam chests above them.

The boiler was based on the ones fitted to the Ivatt 0-8-0s with superheated boilers.  Its barrel was 4ft-8in diameter (actually 4ft-91/8in over the front ring), length 11ft-8in and firebox casing 8ft-0in long.  The engine had a pony truck at the front and its radius bar arm was 6ft-4½in long.  The pony truck wheels were 3ft-8in diameter.  The cylinders were 20in diameter by 26in stroke with 10in diameter piston valves.  Such cylinders were fitted to the later 2-cylinder 2-6-0s.

No. 1631 SERIES
GRESLEY CLASS H2
LNER CLASS K1

5ft-8in wheels, cyls 20in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 7 boiler, LNER Dgm 6 boiler

Boiler dwg N223 (3/1912) for BOs 611/12,
BO 612 issued (6/8/1912) for Nos. 1631-39,
Frame dwg O103 (1912) for EO 272,

EO 272 (8/8/1912) for Nos. 1631-32,
Pony truck dwg O105 (24/10/1912), 3ft-2in wheels.

Nos. 1631-39 were built at Doncaster (1912-13).

These engines had 3ft-2in diameter wheels but were otherwise similar to No. 1630.  There were no spare boilers for Class H2, so when they became due for renewal they were fitted with class H3 boilers instead.  Nos. 1631/35 were rebuilt to Class H3.  It is of interest to note the time spent in works being rebuilt: Nos. 1635 (10/12/1919-12/6/1920) and 1631 (12/10/1920-19/3/1921).

No. 1640 CLASS
GRESLEY CLASS H3
LNER CLASS K2

5ft-8in wheels, cyls 20in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 8 boiler,  LNER Dgm 3 boiler

Boiler dwg N264 (-) for EO 277, also for 0-8-0 No. 420,
Firebox dwg N265 (-) for EO 277,
EO 277 (7/8/1913) for Nos. 1640-49,
Frame dwg O109 (1913) for EO 277,
Frame dwg O115 (25/11/1914) for EO 281,
Pony truck dwg O116 (15/2/1915),
General Plan dwg P56 (13/5/1915) for 1640-49,
General Plan dwg P61 (3/1918) for 1650-79.

Nos. 1640-59 were built at Doncaster (1914-16),
Nos. 1660-79 were built by North British Locomotive Co. (1918),
Nos. 1680-1704 were built by Kitson & Co. (1921).

These engines had longer frames than those for Class H2.  They were longer at the front to allow for a 2½in longer radius bar arm and also longer at the rear end where the cab was longer too.  They had 5ft-6in diameter boilers, with their barrel length 11ft-11½in and firebox casing 8ft-8½in long.

Nos. 1643/46/49/50/52/53 were repaired at Vickers, Barrow, in 1921 as part of a Government scheme to assist factories short of work after the War had ended.  Groves suggests their frames could have been mixed up as the works plates were not fitted on their correct frames.

Nos. 1660 onwards had outside steam pipes, to facilitate a better means of feeding lubricating oil into the cylinders.  The earlier engines were gradually brought into line when replacement cylinders were fitted.  During repair visits to Doncaster Works, sometimes steam pipe covers were fitted whether they were needed or not.  The last K2 to receive steam pipe covers was No. 4653 (May 1947).  In August 1947 No. 1734 was out-shopped from Cowlairs Works with a steam pipe cover on its right-hand side which had the latest pattern cylinder, but no cover on its left-hand side which still had the old pattern cylinder.  Technically this was correct, but the head-on view looked most odd.  It was noted still in this condition as late as October 1954.

The Kitson engines (Nos. 1680-1704) had 2½in Ross patent muffled pop safety valves, commonly referred to as "Ross pops".  For some time afterwards, Doncaster continued to fit Ramsbottom safety valves to new boilers for this class (see later under LNER).

No. 1000 CLASS
GRESLEY H4
LNER CLASS K3

5ft-8in wheels, cyls (3) 18½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 9 boiler, LNER Dgm 96 boiler

BO 648 was issued (31/3/1919) for EO 290,
Frame plate dwg O127 (1919) for EO 290,
Frame dwg O128 (10/7/1919) for EO 290,
Pony truck dwg O129 (10/1919) for EO 290,
Boiler dwg N346 issued (5/1919) was issued or EO 290,
Cylinders dwg M253 issued (5/1919),
EO 290 was issued (6/6/1919) for Nos. 1000-09,
General Plan dwgs P58/2, P59 (6/1920) 1000-09.

Nos. 1000-09 were built at Doncaster (1920-21), though not in this order.

These engines had three cylinders with 8in diameter piston valves.  Gresley's 2-to-1 gear operated the valves for the middle cylinder.  The boiler was 6ft-0in diameter, barrel length 12ft-15/8in, firebox casing 9ft-6in long, the largest in Britain at that time.  These were the first engines with a regulator pull-out handle at both sides of the cab.  They had 3in Ross "pop" safety valves and there were no exceptions.

Large numbers were built after Grouping, which were dispersed around the system and for the purpose of this GNR history will be ignored.  Their history is well documented in the RCTS publication LOCOMOTIVES OF THE LNER, Part 6A

LNER AND AFTERWARDS

LNER Class K1 at Grouping : 8 in service, afterwards rebuilt to K2
LNER Class K2 at Grouping : 67 in service, including 2 rebuilt from K1 by GNR
LNER Class K3 was intact at Grouping : 10  in service, added to by new construction

CLASS K1

The survivors at Grouping, Nos. 1630/32-34/36-39, had 3000 added to their numbers (1924-25).  No. 4636 acquired raised Ross "pop" safety valves, by fitting a brass seating (7/1930).

The survivors were rebuilt to class K2 (1931-37) and their displaced boilers were simply scrapped..

CLASS K2

No. 1653N acquired raised Ross pop safety valves (December 1923), after receiving a second-hand boiler (ex-No. 1650).  No. 1674N also acquired raised Ross pop safety valves (December 1923) without a change of boiler.

The engines had 3000 added to their GN numbers (1924-26).

Twenty K2s were fitted with Westinghouse air pumps (1927-28) for alternative train braking on the GE Section.  No. 4674's equipment was transferred to No. 4677 in 1931.

Twenty engines (Nos. 4674/82/84-86/89, 4691-4704) were fitted with side-window cabs in 1932-35 for working over the West Highland line, but there was only room for a single window at each side.  In 1945 No. 4639 (ex-H2, and therefore had a shorter plain cab) was transferred to Scotland (see later).  In 1933-34 the thirteen K2s which worked regularly over the West Highland line were named after lochs adjacent to this route, except that LOCH SHIEL was rendered LOCH SHEIL and this was never corrected.

Nos. 4630-4704 were renumbered 1720-94 (1946).

The class was intact at Nationalisation and the engines were renumbered 61720-94 (1948-50).  Cowlairs Works managed to fit No. 4639 (by then numbered 61729) with a side-window cab in 1949, but it was transferred shortly afterwards back to the Eastern Region.  Some of the K2s with Westinghouse pumps had them removed in the 'fifties.

A further ten K2s were transferred to Scotland in 1951 (Nos. 61721/22/33-35/41/55/58/69/70) and these were given side-window cabs in 1951-52.

Several latterly worked from Aberdeen (Kittybrewster) shed over the GNS Section, even reaching Inverness.  Fraserburgh was perhaps the furthest north (geographically) where ex-GNR engines could be regularly seen.

The engines were withdrawn between June 1955 (No. 61722) and June 1962 (No. 61756).

CLASS K3

Nos. 1000-09 became 4000-09 (1924-25), not in this order but in construction order.  They became 1800-09 (1946) and 61800-09 (1948-50).  Side-window cabs were fitted (1939-40).  Perhaps the only other change of note was the tender type.  They all originally had 3,500-gallon tenders and subsequently acquired Group Standard 4,200-gallon tenders (both stepped-out and straight sided varieties) mostly during 1925-29 with No. 4007 as late as January 1942.

For details of LNER-built K3s and further details of K2s refer to LOCOMOTIVES OF THE L.N.E.R. (RCTS) Part 6A.

Preamble,  Plant Works,  A 4-2-2,  A 4-6-2,  B 2-2-2,  C 4-4-2,  C 4-4-2TD 4-4-0,  E 2-4-0F 0-4-2,
F 0-4-2TG 0-4-4T
J 0-6-0J 0-6-0ST,  J 0-6-0T,  K 0-8-0L 0-8-2T,  MC Motor coachN 0-6-2T,
O 2-8-0