INDEX

4-4-0 TENDER ENGINES

Order
No.

Ordered
Works
List
Engine
numbers

Built
Ivatt
Class
LNER
Class
- - S 400 1896 D2 D4
201 25/1/1896 S 1071-80 1897 D2 D4
204 1896 S2 1301-10 1897 D2 D4
207 13/5/1897 S2 1311-20 1898 D2 D4
213 6/1/1898 S3 1341-50 1898 D2 D4
219 23/2/1899 S4 1351-60 1899 D2 D4
             
  Rebuilt
D2 to D3
  1359 etc 1913-21 D3 D3
             
209 15/7/1897 V 1321-25 1898 D1 D2
211 6/1/1898 V2 1326-35 1898 D1 D2
216 5/1/1899 V2 1336-40, 1361-65 1899 D1 D2
221 26/10/1899 V3 1366-85 1900 D1 D2
SO 1007 - V4 1386-95 1903 D1 D2
252 6/3/1907 V5 1396-99, 1180 1907 D1 D2
258 28/9/1908 V6 41-50 1909 D1 D2
             
265 18/10/1910   51-65 1911 D1 D1

IVATT

No. 400 CLASS
WORKS LIST S
IVATT CLASS D2
LNER CLASS D4

6ft-7½in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 4 boiler, LNER Dgm 11 boiler

Bogie dwg O47 (6/1896) for 6'-6" pass engines 1061 to 1070,
Bogie details dwg O48 (June 1896) for ditto,
Cylinders (twins) dwg M67 (7/1896) for 6'-6" Bogie Pass.

No. 400 was built 12/1896.

Fig. 88
No. 400

Its boiler was the first domed "standard" boiler with 4ft-5in diameter barrel, superseding the earlier straightback design.  No straightback boilers were ever fitted to the 4-4-0s, their use being limited to Classes J5, J8, J9 0-6-0s; F3 0-4-2s; J16 0-6-0STs.  The engine was rebuilt (1920) to Class D3 (see later under GRESLEY).

The axleboxes for the coupled wheels originally had helical bearing springs.  Later the rear pair had laminated leaf springs instead.

No. 1071 SERIES
WORKS LIST S
IVATT CLASS D2
LNER CLASS D4

6ft-7½in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 4 boiler, LNER Dgm 11 boiler

General Plan dwg Q53 (-) for 6'-6" Bogie, Four wheels Coupled Engines. 1071 to 1080.

Nos. 1071-80 were built 5/1897-6/1897.

The first nine engines had "trumpet" brass safety valve casings. The safety valves of the 10th boiler of the order were switched with those intended for the first boiler of the next boiler order.  As a result, the first appearance of the traditional Ivatt cast-iron safety valve cover was No. 1080 (ex-works 20/6/1897), and the last use of the "trumpet" type was on 0-6-0ST No. 606 (ex-works 31/7/1897).

The axleboxes for the leading coupled wheels had helical bearing springs and the rear ones had laminated leaf springs.

The engines were rebuilt (1913-1926) to Class D3 (see later under GRESLEY).

No. 1301 SERIES
WORKS LIST S2
IVATT CLASS D2
LNER CLASS D4

6ft-7½in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 4 boiler, LNER Dgm 11 boiler

Nos. 1301-10 were built 10/1897-12/1897.

With the the exception of No. 1305, the engines were rebuilt (1916-18) to Class D3 (see later under GRESLEY).

No. 1311 SERIES
WORKS LIST S2
IVATT CLASS D2
LNER CLASS D4

6ft-7½in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 4 boiler, LNER Dgm 11 boiler

Nos. 1311-20 were built 3/1898-6/1898.

Fig. 92
No. 1312

No. 1320 had its coupling rod "splashers" removed.  The running plate was raised instead over the coupled wheels, and extended back to alongside the cab.

Fig. 93
No. 1320 with raised running plate alongside coupled wheels

With the the exception of No. 1320, the engines were rebuilt (1913-24) to Class D3 (see later under GRESLEY).

No. 1341 SERIES
WORKS LIST S3
IVATT CLASS D2
LNER CLASS D4

6ft-7½in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 4 boiler, LNER Dgm 11 boiler

The engines were rebuilt (1914-17) to Class D3 (see later under GRESLEY).

Nos. 1341-50 were built 11/1898-12/1898.

No. 1351 SERIES
WORKS LIST S4
IVATT CLASS D2
LNER CLASS D4

6ft-7½in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 4 boiler, LNER Dgm 11 boiler

Nos. 1351-60 were built 11/1899-12/1899.

The engines were rebuilt (1912-28) to Class D3 (see later under GRESLEY).

No. 1321 CLASS
WORKS LIST V
IVATT CLASS D1
LNER CLASS D2

6ft-8in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 6 boiler, LNER Dgm 7 boiler

General Plan dwg (7/1897) for 1321-40 (1361-95 added)

Nos. 1321-25 were built 6/1898-7/1898.

Fig. 96
No. 1321 with longer firebox

Their boilers were 4ft-5in diameter, instead of 4ft-5in in the earlier 4-4-0s.

No. 1326 SERIES
WORKS LIST V2
IVATT CLASS D1
LNER CLASS D2

6ft-8in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 6 boiler, LNER Dgm 7 boiler

Nos. 1326-35 were built 10/1898-11/1898.

Fig. 99
No. 1327

The coupling rod "splashers" were omitted removed (as they had been for No. 1320 see earlier).  The running plate was raised instead over the coupled wheels, and extended back to alongside the cab.  The smokeboxes were 7¼in longer than in the 1321 Series. 

No. 1336 SERIES
WORKS LIST V2
IVATT CLASS D1
LNER CLASS D2

6ft-8in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 6 boiler, LNER Dgm 7 boiler

Nos. 1336-40/61-65 were built 9/1899-11/1899

No. 1366 SERIES
WORKS LIST V3
IVATT CLASS D1
LNER CLASS D2

6ft-8in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 6 boiler, LNER Dgm 7 boiler

Nos. 1366-85 were built 10/1900-12/1900.  No. 1381 received an 18-element Robinson superheater 4/1914).

No. 1386 SERIES
WORKS LIST V4
IVATT CLASS D1
LNER CLASS D2

6ft-8in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 6 boiler, LNER Dgm 7 boiler

Nos. 1386-95 were completed 1/1903-6/1903.

The construction of this batch of 4-4-0 seems to be shrouded in mystery.  Why were they constructed to an Engine Repair Order (which did not cover their frames), and not to an EO? How are the frames explained, where eactly were the engines built, why the delay in delivery?  I sought to answer these problems in vain in 1961 whilst researching at Doncaster, and when Part 3C of THE LOCOMOTIVES OF THE L.N.E.R. series was published (January 1981) I simply wrote: "Completion was delayed ...".  It was only as recently as June 2011 that I thought the delay in completion was probably the availability of suitable second-hand tenders, as apparently no Tender Order had been issued for these engines.  In fact it is almost certain that a Tender Order really had been issued, TO 14 (26/10/1899), but following delays with the completion of TO 13 for Nos. 1366-85, it was decided to make use of second-hand tenders instead.

A Stores Order, SO 1007 (date of issue not recorded), covered the construction of these 10 engines, using material including coupled axles, tyres, piston rods, cabs, splashers etc., but not the frames.  The inference here being that the frames were either ready waiting or were on order.  One explanation for frames being already available was if the previous Engine Order for this class (EO 221) had made provision for an additional 10 sets in anticipation of a further order, but this seems unlikely. Perhaps an SO was issued because it was intended to construct these engines at a leisurely pace in the Crimpsall Repair Shop, as only engines built to EOs should be built in the New Erecting Shop (NES, new that is in 1890, but known thus for evermore).  It is possible that engines built to an Engine Repair Order (or Stores Order) were traditionally dealt with in the Crimpsall Repair Shop.

The Boiler Order (BO 541, dated 8th October 1901) was executed reasonably promptly, though apparently split into two batches. The first batch was dealt with after BO 539 (for 0-8-0s, dated 17th June 1901) and before BO 540 (also for 0-8-0s, dated 8th October 1901), and the second batch followed the latter order.  This would also be a reasonable arrangement if the boilers were destined for both Crimpsall (building 4-4-0s) and NES (building 0-8-0s).  There was one complication.  After construction of the boilers had started, it was decided that only the first boiler should have 141 x 2¼in diameter iron tubes, and the remainder would have 170 x 2in diameter copper tubes.  By then tube-plates of three boilers had already been drilled to take the larger tubes, so two of them (said to be for the 2nd and 3rd engines, i.e. Nos. 1387/88) had to be given new tube-plates.  Thus two engines of the first batch received their boilers after the second batch was completed.

Engine
No.

Works
No.

Class

Boiler
No.

Date
installed

 

Engine
No.

Works
No.

Class

Boiler
No.

Date
installed

1386

975

D1

1412

6/1902

 

1394

992

D1

1419

11/1902

1391

979

D1

1413

7/1902

 

1390

990

D1

1420

11/1902

1389

980

D1

1415

7/1902

 

1392

994

D1

1421

12/1902

1393

995

D1

1417

12/1902

 

1388

977

D1

1414

2/1903

1395

993

D1

1418

11/1902

 

1387

981

D1

1416

2/1903

 

However, after completion the engines then had to wait quite some time before second-hand tenders (from withdrawn passenger engines) became available (and also too for the first large-boilered Atlantic No. 251).  Between October 1902 and February 1903 several passenger engines were broken up at Doncaster, in the following approximate order.

 

Engine
No.

Class

Withdrawn

Circular

No.

 

Engine
No.

Class

Withdrawn

Circular

No.

92A

B1 10/1902 -

 

3 A2 1/1903 585
2 A2 11/1902 568

 

280 E3 1/1/1903 586
546 A2 7/11/1902 571

 

287 E3 2/1903 596

549

A2 7/11/1902 571          

 

In the same period Class A2 No. 48 was broken up at Peterborough (11/1902), with its tender presumably retained there as a spare.

Presumably some of the tenders rendered spare were attached to No. 251 and five of the new 4-4-0s.  The remaining tender was presumably unsuitable. This left five new 4-4-0s still to be dealt with, and it seems five further engines were ordered to be sent to Doncaster for withdrawal, presumably with the stipulation that their tenders must be suitable for the new engines.  These engines were withdrawn as follows:

 

Engine
No.

Class

Withdrawn

Circular

No.

 

Engine
No.

Class

Withdrawn

Circular

No.

62

A2 3/1903 600

 

47 A2 3/1903 605
91 E2 3/1903 600

 

547 A2 3/1903 605
771 A2 3/1903 600

 

 

Their tenders were presumably intended for attaching to the remaining five 4-4-0s.  These ten engines were thus dealt with in the following sequence (this being the order in which they were entered in the Repairs Volume), though No. 1390 (see table below *) had a further two months or so delay for some unspecified reason, though this may partly explain why two further Class A2 4-2-2s were withdrawn in May 1903, viz. Nos. 777 (Circ. 614) and 772 (Circ. 621), if two of the tenders released in the March had proved to be unsuitable.  It is believed that the ten second-hand tenders provided for Nos. 1386-95 also took the numbers 1386-95 (though this has not been confirmed).

 

Engine
No.

Works
No.
Boiler
No.
Boiler
installed

Ex-works

 

Engine
No.

Works
No.
Boiler
No.
Boiler
installed

Ex-works

1386

975 1412 6/1902 1/1903

 

1390 990 1420 11/1902 5/1903*
1387 981 1416 2/1903 16/2/1903

 

1395 993 1418 11/1902 3/1903
1388 977 1414 2/1903 2/1903

 

1392 994 1421 12/1902 4/1903
1389 980 1415 7/1902 2/1903   1394 992 1419 11/1902 5/1903
1393 995 1417 12/1902 2/1903   1391 979 1413 7/1902 11/6/1903

 

It is likely that 10 Stirling 4-2-2s were to have been withdrawn (regardless of their condition) and their tenders re-used for 10 Ivatt Class A5 4-2-2 "renewals", ordered in August 1900.  However the Ivatt engines were found alternative newer tenders, and also probably took longer to "bed in" than anticipated, so the planned withdrawal of the Stirling engines was delayed.  They were eventually withdrawn between October 1902 and May 1903.  (An eleventh 4-2-2 was also withdrawn in the same period, No. 48 in November 1902, but this was presumably for some other reason as it was scrapped at Peterborough shed.)  The ten engines were withdrawn at Doncaster Works, so that their tenders could be reconditioned for further use, which in their case meant to make up for the shortage for the "replacement" Class D1 4-4-0s, Nos. 1386-95.  Notes left by the late William Yeadon, the renowned tender expert, suggest he had come across tenders carrying these numbers, which he assumed to be second-hand.  The Locomotive Drawing Office never kept records of tender exchanges, which has presented great problems unravelling many tender mysteries.

No. 1396 SERIES
WORKS LIST V5
IVATT CLASS D1
LNER CLASS D2

6ft-8in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 6 boiler, LNER Dgm 7 boiler

Nos. 1396-99, 1180 were built 8/1907-10/1907.

No. 41 SERIES
WORKS LIST V6
IVATT CLASS D1
LNER CLASS D2

6ft-8in wheels, cyls 17½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 6 boiler, LNER Dgm 7 boiler

Nos. 41-50 were built 4/1909-6/1909.

No. 51 CLASS
IVATT CLASS D1
LNER CLASS D1

6ft-8in wheels, cyls 18½in x 26in, Gresley Dgm 6 boiler, LNER Dgm 7 boiler

General Plan dwg Q86 (26/8/1913) for Nos. 51-65,

Nos. 51-65 were built 3/1911-8/1911.

These engines had Schmidt 18-element superheaters and had a noticeably lengthy smokebox.  8in piston valves were fitted instead of slide valves and the boiler was pitched 3in higher.  Nos. 60/61 were the first two GNR engines with Ross "pop" safety valves. The superheaters were later changed to the Robinson type, probably all during the 1930s.

GRESLEY

IVATT CLASS D2 (LNER D4) REBUILT TO GRESLEY CLASS D3 (LNER D3)

Gresley Dgm 5 boiler, LNER Dgm 8 boiler

Boiler dwg N214 (12/1911) "for Classes D, E, F";  boiler barrel comprised one ring only, a departure from Ivatt practice,
Firebox dwg N217 (-) for this boiler,
BO 608 issued (11/1/1912) for 1 boiler; amended to 10 boilers, 
Boiler arrangement dwg N246 (15/4/1912) "in classes D2, E2 & J5, BO608" Drawing issued to the Works 16/4/1912,
(This dwg depicts an E2, but if any such engine really was fitted, then it did not leave the Works.)

Gresley introduced a new boiler type in 1912.  The barrel was 10ft-1in long by 4ft-5in diameter and the firebox casing was 5ft-6in long.  Basically, it was a 1321 Class boiler with a shorter firebox.  The first two engines fitted were 0-6-0 No. 1163 (5/1912) and 4-4-0 No. 1359 (11/1912).  Gradually (from 3/1913 onwards) the entire class (except for Nos. 1305/20) was given these boilers, the last one dealt with being No. 4358 (GNR 1358) in June 1928.  (Instead, Nos. 1305/20 were rebuilt to LNER Class D2.)

These boilers were also fitted to Class J5 0-6-0s to form Class J4 (LNER J3), though this process was never completed.

Boiler dwg N214 (12/1911), shows a one-piece barrel ring, with the centre of the dome located 7ft from the front.  The boiler had 238 x 1¾in tubes.  The firebox grate had a 6in slope from back to front.  BO 608 was issued (11/1/1912) for one boiler only, but this was amended to 10 (13/2/1912).   Boiler Arrangement dwg N246 (15/4/1912) was issued to the Works (16/4/1912), depicting a 2-4-0 with this 4ft-8in boiler, but there is no evidence of this being taken seriously.  Following successful results, the next batch was ordered (22/1/1913).  Ten new boilers (ordered 1/7/1918) were ordered with 18-element Robinson superheaters.  The superheaters were later crossed off the boiler order (probably 16/10/1918).  It is likely the superheaters had been ordered in error, overlooking that this boiler type was intended to be saturated only.

LNER AND AFTERWARDS

LNER Class D1 was intact at Grouping : 15 in service
LNER Class D2 was intact at Grouping : 70 in service, 2 added later by rebuilding from D3
LNER Class D3 : 45 in service, gradually added to by rebuilds from D4, but two D3s rebuilt to D2
LNER Class D4 : 6 in service, gradually rebuilt to D3

LNER CLASS D3 TO LNER CLASS D2

Nos. 1305 (LNER 4305) and 4320 were rebuilt to Class D2 (1923/26).

LNER CLASS D1

Nos. 51-65 became Nos. 3051-65 about 1924.  They were allocated Nos. 2202-15 in the 1943 renumbering scheme, but only Nos. 2203/05/07-10/12/14-16 survived long enough for these numbers to be applied (1946-47).  Seven survived at Nationalisation (Nos. 2203/05/07-09/14/15) but only Nos. 2203/08/15 survived to have 60000 added to their numbers.  The last to be withdrawn was No. 62203 (August 1950).

LNER CLASS D2

Nos. 1321 etc were numbered 4321 etc (about 1924).  Many were given 18-element superheaters in the late 1920s and 1930s.  Withdrawals commenced in April 1937 (No. 4364).  The survivors were renumbered between 2170 and 2201 (about 1946).  Thirty-one survived at Nationalisation (1948) but only No. 2172 had 60000 added to its number.  No. 62172 (formerly GNR 1369) was the last D2 when withdrawn in June 1951.

LNER CLASS D3

Nos. 400 etc were renumbered 3400 etc (about 1924).

Later boilers (fitted from 12/1926) had Ross "pop" safety valves instead of Ramsbottom.  The first D3 was No. 4310 (1/1927).  These boilers continued to be built down to 1932.  The last batch ordered (2/1932) were not fitted until 1936 when three of them were used for Nos. 4307/15/17 (all fitted 5/1936) and two others were at the same time sent to Melton Constable (on the M&GN).

Four D3s (Nos. 4075/77, 4349/54) were provided with side-window cabs in 1935, providing better protection for crews working over the Stainmore line from Darlington to Penrith and Tebay.  They had one window on each side, but in October 1944 No. 2000 (formerly 4075) received a more modern cab with double side windows, more in keeping with its new role as nominated engine for Officers' special trains.

The remaining surviving D3s were renumbered 2115 to 2148 in building order.  The D2s were renumbered 2170 to 2201 in building order.  The D1s were renumbered 2202-16 in building order.

LNER CLASS D4

There were six left at Grouping, Nos. 4077/79, 4313/56/58/60.  These were rebuilt to Class D3 (1924-28), the last one being LNER No. 4358, rendering this class extinct.

Preamble,  Plant Works,  A 4-2-2 A 4-6-2B 2-2-2 C 4-4-2 C 4-4-2T E 2-4-0 F 0-4-2 F 0-4-2T,
G 0-4-4T H 2-6-0,  J 0-6-0 J 0-6-0ST J 0-6-0T K 0-8-0 L 0-8-2T,  MC Motor coach N 0-6-2T,
O 2-8-0